SteamVR

SteamVR

SteamVR Workshop
Customize your SteamVR experience by finding new backgrounds, 3D environments, controllers and base station models.
Learn More
Slideshow in a steamVR workshop
I'd like to make a slideshow within a picture frame on a wall in a workshop destination. Is there an entity that can change the vmat-file via input by the output of other entities (triggers, buttons etc.)?

I tried to use Material_modify_control but I found no way to use it that way.
Any examples/tutorials/tip for Hammer editor?
Thanks in advance
< >
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
I don't think there is any way yo change materials from what I remember.

The cleanest way of making a slideshow would be using a Panorama panel, but it's fairly complicated to set up.

Another option would be making a custom model with multiple skins, setting it up as a prop_dynamic, and toggling the skins on it to change material.

The easiest way, if you want to work with only Hammer assets is probaly to make multiple func_brush entities with different materials, and enabling or disabling them with inputs.
OK, helps me!

Perhaps any example for a script that delivers the feature of a slideshow available anywhere?

I'll try your tips, thanks.
I don't think I've seen any examples anywhere.
Allow me another question:
I converted my slideshow to .bik and alternatively to .webm
But how can I make them visible in Hammer?
Took a quad/block and tied it to logic_playmovie, but at runtime noting is visible - strange...
I don't think logic_playmovie works, but there is a way to play webm movies in panorama panels. I can't remember how well it works though. You do it by making a panel with the MoviePanel class in the XML layout file.

<root> <styles> <include src="file://{resources}/styles/base_styles.css" /> </styles> <ClientUIDialogPanel> <MoviePanel id="vid" style="width: 100%; height: 100%;" src="file://{resources}/videos/intro_world_heist.webm" repeat="true" autoplay="onload"/> </ClientUIDialogPanel> </root>
Last edited by Rectus; 9 Mar @ 8:27am
sounds interesting!

What does "file://{resources} ... mean? Is it a specific place within the 'program files(86)\steam\...' folder?
It points to the panorama folder in the virtual file sytem, so it would allow access to anything inside the panoram folder in your addon, and in \SteamVR\tools\steamvr_environments\game\steamtours\panorama\
OK, now I got it and it works perfectly. The quality is good and the webm files (made with Blender and Avidemux) are pretty small.

BTW: You should write a book "Perfect SteamVR HOME workshop for dummies".

Will be a bestseller, I guess...
:-)
THX
< >
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
Per page: 1530 50