SteamVR

SteamVR

SteamVR Workshop
Customize your SteamVR experience by finding new backgrounds, 3D environments, controllers and base station models.
Learn More
Sound Emitters like ambient_generic, point_soundevent, etc. not working in Hammer 2 Destinations SDK
My problem is twofold, the first is that stuff I put in my
SteamVR/tools/steamvr_environments/game/steamtours_addons/mapname/sounds
is not showing up as an option in sounds I can pick, no luck with
SteamVR/tools/steamvr_environments/content/steamtours_addons/mapname/sounds
either. Used both an MP3, a Wav, a .wav with looping points at the beginning and end through wavosaur, nothing is working here.

I'm just trying to get the indoor and outdoor rain sounds from minecraft into my map and looping so I can start adding triggerboxes to activate the sounds to play as you move indoors and outdoors, I have the audio files I just need to troubleshoot this so I can implement them.

Secondly, when I try to test sounds that are already in SteamVR natively via point_soundevent, I hear nothing, but when it's a ambient sound meant to loop, I don't see the play button turn into a stop button, which means I don't hear it but it clearly is playing the data in the preview. Yes, I did double check if SteamVR switched output to my headphones instead of my index speakers.
Edit: This part doesn't appear to be a problem anymore, I realized I just had to wake my VR headset up from sleep mode to hear audio on my headphones... for some reason.
Last edited by [MM] WMan22; 10 Oct, 2020 @ 9:45pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 22 comments
Rectus 13 11 Oct, 2020 @ 12:40am 
You need to create soundevents for your sounds to show up in the list.
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamVR/Environments/Adding_Sound/Soundevents
[MM] WMan22 2 11 Oct, 2020 @ 5:01pm 
Originally posted by Rectus:
You need to create soundevents for your sounds to show up in the list.
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamVR/Environments/Adding_Sound/Soundevents
Do you have to manually enter that information inside the curly braces? I just figured the template would already be there and you just need to rename a few things and that it not being there was an indication that it wasn't reading the sound's existence.
Rectus 13 12 Oct, 2020 @ 12:16am 
Yeah, you have to. Unfortunately Valve hasn't released any tools for settng up sounds like for other asset types.
[MM] WMan22 2 12 Oct, 2020 @ 12:57am 
Yeah, you have to. Unfortunately Valve hasn't released any tools for settng up sounds like for other asset types.
Ah, that's fine, as long as I can get it to work. I'll try and fiddle with this later.
[MM] WMan22 2 12 Oct, 2020 @ 1:13am 
Here's one of mine if you want somewhere to copy from: https://github.com/Rectus/destinations_range/blob/master/range/soundevents/soundevents_addon.vsndevts
Thank you very much, I only plan on adding two sounds, filename Indoor_Rain.wav and minecraftrain.mp3, though I can change the MP3 to a wav if need be. The .vmap's name is comfy_porch.

Would my version of this look like

{ Rain.sound = { type = "destinations.comfy_porch" volume = 1.0 distance_max = "100000" vsnd_files = [ "sounds/Indoor_rain.vsnd", "sounds/minecraftrain.vsnd", ] }

or would I make a separate entry for the other audio where it's

{ outdoor.rain = { type = "destinations.comfy_porch" volume = 1.0 distance_max = "100000" vsnd_files = [ "sounds/minecraftrain.vsnd", ] } indoor.rain = { type = "destinations.comfy_porch" volume = 1.0 distance_max = "100000" vsnd_files = [ "sounds/Indoor_rain.vsnd", ] }

For reference, I plan on making a repeatable trigger box that turns off one sound and starts up another when they get inside, and vice versa.
Last edited by [MM] WMan22; 12 Oct, 2020 @ 1:16am
Rectus 13 12 Oct, 2020 @ 1:19am 
If you want to be able to pick one of the sounds, thee need to be separate entries.

Also the type needs to be destinations.simple_vr for positional sounds, or destinations.simple_2d for non-positional.
[MM] WMan22 2 12 Oct, 2020 @ 1:33am 
If you want to be able to pick one of the sounds, thee need to be separate entries.

Also the type needs to be destinations.simple_vr for positional sounds, or destinations.simple_2d for non-positional.

A 1:1 copypaste of my
tools/steamvr_enviromments/content/steamtours_addons/comfy_porch/soundevents/soundevents_addon.vsndevts:

<!-- kv3 encoding:text:version{e21c7f3c-8a33-41c5-9977-a76d3a32aa0d} format:generic:version{7412167c-06e9-4698-aff2-e63eb59037e7} --> { outdoor.rain = { type = "destinations.simple_2d" volume = 1.0 distance_max = "100000" vsnd_files = [ "sounds/minecraftrain.vsnd", ] } indoor.rain = { type = "destinations.simple_2d" volume = 1.0 distance_max = "100000" vsnd_files = [ "sounds/Indoor_rain.vsnd", ] }

The files show up and play in the asset browser that appears before you launch hammer, but it says "unreferenced by content" still, and I can't search the sounds in ambient_generic or point_soundevent. even when I search outdoor.rain and indoor.rain instead of the .vsnd files directly
Rectus 13 12 Oct, 2020 @ 2:11am 
You're missing the last closing bracket in the file.
Rectus 13 12 Oct, 2020 @ 2:14am 
Also make sure you run a map, or it might not compile the soundevents file. Touching it in the asset browser might also work.
[MM] WMan22 2 12 Oct, 2020 @ 2:51am 
Also make sure you run a map, or it might not compile the soundevents file. Touching it in the asset browser might also work.

I've just decided to not have rain in my map anymore even though that was part of the original vision for it, sound issues aside, it was making the map have a very low framerate since it had to calculate a bunch of raindrop physics anyway. Just not worth the hassle, I wish valve simply fixed func_precipitation.

Thank you sincerely for taking time out of your day to help me.
Rectus 13 12 Oct, 2020 @ 2:56am 
If you're setting up the particle effects right, I think the physics part of the rain should be pretty cheap. There seem to be a lot of optimization options available for the tracer. The tricky part is probably to make the rain fall only where the local player is looking, but that should be possible too.
Last edited by Rectus; 12 Oct, 2020 @ 2:57am
[MM] WMan22 2 12 Oct, 2020 @ 3:02am 
If you're setting up the particle effects right, I think the physics part of the rain should be pretty cheap. There seem to be a lot of optimization options available for the tracer. The tricky part is probably to make the rain fall only where the local player is looking, but that should be possible too.

I was trying to use this https://alyxmods.com/mappage?m=52-Rain%20Particles in SteamVR Destinations but I have no idea how I would parent it to the player properly and I even had to swap the splash texture since it seems to only exist inside Half Life Alyx and was giving me the good old checkerboard problem, so I just put a bunch of it everywhere on my map which caused the framerate to chug, for obvious reasons. It didn't come with a sound, so I tried to take the rain sounds from minecraft since those are pre-made, iconic, and pleasant to listen to, but then ran into a problem adding the sounds in a usable format to begin with.
Rectus 13 12 Oct, 2020 @ 3:40am 
That particle system is very unoptimized. Here are some tracing options that should work better, although the splashes should really be child particles without collision. https://i.imgur.com/YLyZXiS.png

You should also only have one of those particle systems following the player. It might be possible by setting control point 0 to follow the HMD in the particle editor, but I'm not sure.
[MM] WMan22 2 28 Oct, 2020 @ 6:47pm 
That particle system is very unoptimized. Here are some tracing options that should work better, although the splashes should really be child particles without collision. https://i.imgur.com/YLyZXiS.png

You should also only have one of those particle systems following the player. It might be possible by setting control point 0 to follow the HMD in the particle editor, but I'm not sure.

https://imgur.com/a/aVHpygZ I just don't know what I am doing wrong, still having issues trying to add the rain sound.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 22 comments
Per page: 1530 50