This topic has been locked
KillahInstinct 2 Jun, 2022 @ 11:57am
Goodbye (from all volunteer Steam moderators)
We, the volunteer Steam moderators, are being retired starting tomorrow.

What started as a fairly small company with less than 1 million users on the old forums (SPUF), and a tight knit community, comes to an end on the 'new' forums - more akin to the size of Twitter and in no way comparable.

It was a long time coming, we were never really able to keep up with all the reports and help was needed. Valve added paid moderators along the way and outsourced it like they did with Steam Support, which at this scale (sadly) is the only way to moderate. Valve feels confident that the path forward is solely with paid moderators they feel they must retire the volunteer moderation program and thanked us for our services. Each game is also still free to have their own moderators.

We acted as a liaison already in most recent years, albeit most of us where already retired or simply plain inactive, as employees left and changed and the way Valve undertakes things did to.

On the bright side, at least there won't be any complaints about who handed out a ban anymore, although I have already seen conspiracies that we are actually Support agents too ;)

We want to thank all of you for your support and the trust you put in us to moderate this platform and make things better for everyone, and the help we were able to provide as a result. We all have some unforgettable moments we will carry with us and will still be providing feedback to moderators and other hubs.
Last edited by KillahInstinct; 2 Jun, 2022 @ 12:46pm
< >
Showing 151-165 of 1,844 comments
Simo62bit 3 Jun, 2022 @ 12:49am 
Its sad to see legends retiring.
Thanks for everything you guys did for the Steam community!
Last edited by Simo62bit; 3 Jun, 2022 @ 12:53am
1gnis 3 Jun, 2022 @ 1:05am 
Much Love and Thanks for all your services over the years
DiceDsx 3 Jun, 2022 @ 1:10am 
Thank you for everything, guys.

It's sad to see an era come to an end. :(
/\ngel 3 Jun, 2022 @ 1:26am 
Originally posted by taki:
Steam Community Forums are dead right now...
Source: Removed

Is it Steam Discussions? If so, I am sorry, but I'd disagree. Various Steam Store title and general discussions helped to solve issues and still do. For example, a relatively recent report that got managed by the developer: "Hypercharge: Unboxed - Mouse cursor window lock doesn't work in...".

So far, I've encountered no issues on Steam Discussion and don't think I will. Perhaps, only Markdown support would be awesome, though the current system still works flawlessly.
Last edited by /\ngel; 3 Jun, 2022 @ 1:29am
Crazy Tiger 3 Jun, 2022 @ 1:37am 
A shame. Thanks for the hard work you all did and I do hope to see you all around. Though without the orange names that will be a tad odd in the beginning. :lunar2019grinningpig:
lightwo 3 Jun, 2022 @ 2:14am 
Thank you for your hard work and direct, transparent communication along the way. I hope the break will be worth it, or perhaps try moderating on less busy forums next :thXD:.

It might never be the same, especially knowing some paid mods lock the thread and give a message, but it's always the same, soulless response...

Goodbye :cyanheart:
Last edited by lightwo; 3 Jun, 2022 @ 2:29am
Hitzugy J. Pax 3 Jun, 2022 @ 2:19am 
Bye Smash you were the best :C
Felix 3 Jun, 2022 @ 3:49am 
Originally posted by Tito Shivan:

As Killah said the tools for the job weren't the best and some accidental mistakes were hard, when not impossible to revert by us. Sometime even ourselves got caught in the crossfire and have had days of posts deleted.

Reminds me of testing Ian and I did loooong ago, where we learned we could ban each other as global mods. 🤷

And also the numerous ways the reported posts list could be broken... 🙈
Last edited by Felix; 3 Jun, 2022 @ 3:50am
Xedhadeaus 3 Jun, 2022 @ 4:13am 
I would have at least hoped they extended an opportunity to those of you who were willing to accept a paid position... But... outsourcing go burr I suppose. I've seen quite a few fallouts when companies do that, but it seems civil enough.

I'll hope the paid moderators have some sort of community investment so their judgements have some informed weight about them, such as user history, intent, etc. Sometimes when dealing with new management, there's a degree of inhumanity with how they handle the situation.
SMIFFY 3 Jun, 2022 @ 4:22am 
It was a pleasure being repeatedly banned by you.
peon 3 Jun, 2022 @ 4:49am 
Good Riddance killah.

Ill never forget in 2009 when you called me a liar about being ddosed in l4d2. More specifically, about why I was being ddosed. I dont know what I did to that pyscho that warranted the gangstalking and ddossing. And I think when your dealing with fragile minds like that, it doesnt matter why they pick a victim. But I will never forget how you treated me then, as if I deserved what was happening. You see the worst in everything and do whatever the hell you want. I hope karma comes back to bite you.

Puts tinfoil hat on: May I also suggest that killahinstinct wasnt just one person, but a handle used by multiple people at valve.
Last edited by peon; 3 Jun, 2022 @ 4:56am
ianskate 3 Jun, 2022 @ 4:54am 
Originally posted by Felix:
Originally posted by Tito Shivan:

As Killah said the tools for the job weren't the best and some accidental mistakes were hard, when not impossible to revert by us. Sometime even ourselves got caught in the crossfire and have had days of posts deleted.

Reminds me of testing Ian and I did loooong ago, where we learned we could ban each other as global mods. 🤷

I can still do it now, for a few more hours at least... until you have to request an unban via support ticket :lunar2019piginablanket:
Last edited by ianskate; 3 Jun, 2022 @ 4:55am
Tito Shivan 3 Jun, 2022 @ 4:57am 
Originally posted by SMIFFY:
It was a pleasure being repeatedly banned by you.
Note most of your ban notices say "Ban notification from a member of Steam Support" All of those were issued by Steam's moderation staff, not us.
Knowing is half the battle.

Fun times :lunar2020gigglemonkey:
KillahInstinct 3 Jun, 2022 @ 4:59am 
Originally posted by peon:
Good Riddance killah.

Ill never forget in 2009 when you called me a liar about being ddosed in l4d2.

May I also suggest that killahinstinct wasnt just one person, but a handle used by multiple people at valve.
I think you've me confused with other people. Sounds a bit a-typical for someone to help people for 20 years and then not help someone who is being DDOSed, don't you think?

I can also assure you, other than the voices in my head, there is just one person using this account.
Last edited by KillahInstinct; 3 Jun, 2022 @ 5:03am
Felix 3 Jun, 2022 @ 5:18am 
Originally posted by ianskate:

I can still do it now, for a few more hours at least... until you have to request an unban via support ticket :lunar2019piginablanket:
PLEASE, NO. HAVE MERCY!
Last edited by Felix; 3 Jun, 2022 @ 5:18am
< >
Showing 151-165 of 1,844 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: 2 Jun, 2022 @ 11:57am