jka 30 Jul, 2022 @ 10:31am
What does app's state 0x202 after update really mean?
Running SteamCMD in a Docker container from image cm2network/steamcmd:root causes a 0x202 error on one of my machines but not the other one.

The used SteamCMD command is as follows:
/home/steam/steamcmd/steamcmd.sh +force_install_dir /home/steam/rust-server +login anonymous +app_update 258550 +quit

The error:
Connecting anonymously to Steam Public...OK Waiting for client config...OK Waiting for user info...OK Update state (0x3) reconfiguring, progress: 0.00 (0 / 0) Update state (0x3) reconfiguring, progress: 0.00 (0 / 0) Error! App '258550' state is 0x202 after update job.

Note: This only happens on one of my machines. On the other one everything works perfectly fine. This is despite the fact that in both cases SteamCMD is run in a Docker container made from the same image.

Since 0x202 could be a disk space error, below are my disk spaces. Both should have plenty for the app in question (Rust).

The machine on which the issue happens:
$ df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on dev 7,8G 0 7,8G 0% /dev run 7,8G 1,7M 7,8G 1% /run /dev/nvme0n1p5 20G 15G 3,7G 81% / tmpfs 7,8G 51M 7,8G 1% /dev/shm tmpfs 7,8G 5,9M 7,8G 1% /tmp /dev/nvme0n1p8 93G 3,4G 85G 4% /home /dev/nvme0n1p6 511M 292K 511M 1% /boot/efi tmpfs 1,6G 80K 1,6G 1% /run/user/1000

The machine on which the issue does not happen:
$ df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on dev 3,8G 0 3,8G 0% /dev run 3,8G 1,5M 3,8G 1% /run /dev/sda2 225G 18G 196G 9% / tmpfs 3,8G 0 3,8G 0% /dev/shm tmpfs 3,8G 4,0K 3,8G 1% /tmp /dev/sda1 300M 288K 300M 1% /boot/efi tmpfs 768M 68K 768M 1% /run/user/1000

The filesystems are identical due to being run in a container so this shouldn't be any kind of directory overlap issue. Also there is plenty of disk space on both machines and by default Docker does not limit resources available to a container. So what does the SteamCMD error 0x202 really mean and what can I do to fix it?
< >
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
[N]ebsun 30 Jul, 2022 @ 4:58pm 
is there any disk usage restriction on the user account that owns / runs the updater?

I remember having the same issue, but can't remember what I did to fix it
jka 31 Jul, 2022 @ 3:01am 
Originally posted by Nebsun:
is there any disk usage restriction on the user account that owns / runs the updater?
I don't think so. And even if there was, then the issue would occur on both of the mentioned machines since in a containerized environment also the user permissions are identical, don't you think?
Metal_Warrior 1 Aug, 2022 @ 8:46am 
Do you add disk space from the host into the container? If yes, that might be your problem.Apart from that the container will probably use a couple of MB on the root file system (I guess /var/lib/docker/), that might cause some trouble too.
Also, most importantly: Docker is useful for stateless containers. Using your container to update something inside it is probably not the most ideal usage of it.
jka 2 Aug, 2022 @ 12:03pm 
Originally posted by Metal_Warrior:
Do you add disk space from the host into the container? If yes, that might be your problem.Apart from that the container will probably use a couple of MB on the root file system (I guess /var/lib/docker/), that might cause some trouble too.
I thought of that too, and so I tried both bind mounting a directory from elsewhere in the host filesystem, and just using the Docker area you mentioned (a "regular volume"). No effect on the issue.

Originally posted by Metal_Warrior:
Also, most importantly: Docker is useful for stateless containers. Using your container to update something inside it is probably not the most ideal usage of it.
Containerization is useful for isolation of things. Some would argue that's the main point. Especially when trying out some new tech it's nice to have the environment preconfigured even if you're gonna pull some data in there. Anyway, that's off topic.
Baluka 11 Nov, 2023 @ 8:11am 
I have also found out that this ERROR appears when you forget to unzip the SteamCMD
ZIP-Folder and started SteamCMD while looking in the ZIP-Folder and starting the .exe from there.

So please check that you unzipped SteamCMD ZIP-Folder before using SteamCMD.
MaYeRs 7 Feb @ 5:56am 
Originally posted by Baluka:
I have also found out that this ERROR appears when you forget to unzip the SteamCMD
ZIP-Folder and started SteamCMD while looking in the ZIP-Folder and starting the .exe from there.

So please check that you unzipped SteamCMD ZIP-Folder before using SteamCMD.
did you format everything and started from zero ?
Sang 25 Mar @ 1:11am 
I encountered the same issue when using the steamcmd/steamcmd docker (Error! App '222860' state is 0x202 after update job.). However, after some time when I checked the logs again, I found that it had actually started downloading (I configure docker to always restart). Maybe after retrying several times, it worked. But this is very strange. I don't understand the meaning of this error.
AHaPXu4 20 Jun @ 1:12pm 
This is a no space left exception.
< >
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
Per page: 1530 50