SteamVR

SteamVR

SteamVR Workshop
Customize your SteamVR experience by finding new backgrounds, 3D environments, controllers and base station models.
Learn More
(SOLVED) --- prop_destinations_tool and handling
Hi, lets make a model in Blender e.g. a stick/torch etc. Origin is at world origin (in Blender) and the model is upright, After exporting as DMX, importing in Hammer and changed to prop_destinations_tool I can grab the tool, thats ok -- but it is NOT upright in my hand.

Tried turning in Blender in several directions but the result is the same: not upright in my hand!

Where is my fault...?
Last edited by gavovo; 3 May @ 8:10am
< >
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
Make sure you apply the transformation in Blender before exporting. Objects get exported relative to their local origins.

You can also add an attachement point in the model editor and name it "vr_controller_root", and it will pose the model relative to that instead of the origin.
I can't get it work...
... I did:
-> applied transformation in Blender
--> import DMX mesh in Hammer
-> position on the right place
-> 'Tie to entity' --> prop_destinations_tool
now I can grab it, but like told before it isn't upright in the hand.

Next try:
-> import DMX mesh to Hammer
-> position it
-> 'Create Model from Selection' --> it will get a prop_static
-> change to prop_destinations_tool
now I CANNOT grab it at runtime.

Guess I have a basic-understanding-problem...
The common way of creating props is by importing the model into the model editor instead of Hammer: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamVR/Environments/Environment_Tutorial:_Creating_a_Physics_Prop#Importing_the_Model
Read that tutorial intensively - but every time I import into the model editor, I just get a red wireframe with an error.mat Material, and I find no way to change that error material to an existing other material. In Blender I set the correct paths for model and material in the Source-Tool-Addon.

I can make a prop_destinations_tool out of the wireframe, but the result is again: I cant grab it.

Stuck. Should make 'format c:' and change to meditation...
I rememberd I have a very old tutorial that shows how to export it without having to set up the material path in blender. it shows both the FBX and DMX workflows. https://gtm.steamproxy.vip/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=890780029

If you can't grab it, that means you don't have a collision mesh set up.
Last edited by Rectus; 2 May @ 1:08am
OK, I'll look at this tut tomorrow. Meanwhile I accept, that the grabbed torch looks at ME instead of the CEILING...
;-)
THX
Well, I finally did it! The whole point was your reference to the collision mesh AND (especially) adding the attachment point 'vr_controller_root'. After this is set, the rotation can be changed in the Property Editor under 'Influences'. Using the example of my torch mentioned, rotation: 0/-45/0 gives the correct position when carrying the prop_destination_tool around.

By the way, this also works great if the DMX files are imported DIRECTLY into Hammer under Files-->Import.... Then immediately add material to the mesh and use RMB '.../Create Model from Selection' to transform it into a model, which is then provided with collision mesh and attachment in the ModelEditor.

It took me a while to get it together, but thanks to your help (again...;-) it works now.
Greetings
< >
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
Per page: 1530 50