Linux Dedicated Machine & SteamCMD filling user home folder with junk
I was given a user account on a dedicated machine, and I made a Steam folder and threw SteamCMD in it. However, every time I run SteamCMD (whether it is to install a new game, or check for game updates), it throws a bunch of junk outside the Steam folder.
  • appcache
  • config
  • logs
  • steamapps
  • userdata
All of these exist inside my Steam folder alongside SteamCMD, but for some reason SteamCMD just keeps chucking everything to my home folder. Is there any way to fix/prevent this?
Last edited by Xbye; 19 Feb @ 7:15pm
< >
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
Maybe, but that's just a guess, the current work directory is used by steamcmd to throw in all the stuff. At least on Debian I found that steamcmd will not run if I'm not inside the .steam directory, as it searches for its libraries in the wrong places.

So:
cd .steam
and only then executing steamcmd, that might help.
Xbye 2 Mar @ 8:52am 
Originally posted by Metal_Warrior:
Maybe, but that's just a guess, the current work directory is used by steamcmd to throw in all the stuff. At least on Debian I found that steamcmd will not run if I'm not inside the .steam directory, as it searches for its libraries in the wrong places.

So:
cd .steam
and only then executing steamcmd, that might help.

I think SteamCMD is just, dumb lol.

Here is what I gathered with SteamCMD:

1. When you first run SteamCMD, it makes a Steam folder and throws a bunch of stuff inside of it.

2. SteamCMD then throws a bunch of stuff into the home directory of where you are.

If you move everything from the steam folder into your home folder then it'll work just fine, but man is it annoying.
< >
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
Per page: 1530 50