This topic has been locked
Lokiator 9 Oct, 2019 @ 6:08pm
Rarest Achievements / Showcase Glitched?
I noticed that I suddenly have a whole new batch of achievement icons showing 0.01% in my "rarest achievements" showcase. But they aren't rare achievements at all. Did something glitch up Steam's achievement tracking?
Last edited by Lokiator; 11 Oct, 2019 @ 4:07pm
Originally posted by al:
Hi everyone,

We've enabled the new system, so those achievements that got reset should be back to where they were before. There may be some numbers that changed very slightly with the new calculation - Team Fortress 2 in particular has a few achievements that are about .1% higher now.

The numbers displayed on the showcase and profiles should update immediately. Numbers displayed in the library may take a little longer to update.
< >
Showing 256-270 of 390 comments
nx 28 Oct, 2019 @ 10:39pm 
al
Thank you for telling us a lot of details about the situation. Good luck with building a new database. Please tell us if there is at least a chance that measures will be taken to protect achievements from hacking by programs like Steam Achievement Manager in future.
Na 28 Oct, 2019 @ 10:57pm 
Originally posted by nx:
al
Please tell us if there is at least a chance that measures will be taken to protect achievements from hacking by programs like Steam Achievement Manager in future.
Coal Train 29 Oct, 2019 @ 12:11am 
It's been noticed. I can rest easier. Yay!
Ardenian 29 Oct, 2019 @ 3:29am 
Thanks for the update, al!

Originally posted by al:
(...) The system has been mostly untouched since 2007 and runs on an old database that we don't really use anymore (...)
Every computer scientist goosebumps on this, ha! Wondering if the new system changes anything from client-perspective or if it is only behind the scenes. Probably the latter one considering that Valve didn't comment on this for quite some time, because it being something behind the scenes makes it in no way marketable in combination with a new player feature.
Last edited by Ardenian; 29 Oct, 2019 @ 3:29am
Sterbehilfe e.V. 29 Oct, 2019 @ 3:42am 
Originally posted by al:
Hi, sorry we haven't replied sooner.

Some data got corrupted in the system that tracks achievement percentages. While we have backups, it's difficult to determine precisely when the stats got reset, or how many achievements were unlocked in between when the backup last ran and when the numbers got reset. The system has been mostly untouched since 2007 and runs on an old database that we don't really use anymore, so it's overdue for an overhaul.

Given all that, we are working on building a new system for tracking the global achievement data. This is almost complete, after which there will be some time while we count up all of the achievement unlocks again (there are billions and billions). Once it's caught up, we'll switch over to reading the numbers from the new system, and the unlock percentages should return to normal.

I'll keep this thread updated on our progress.

The trigger was an update a year ago
October 10, 2018

https://gtm.steamproxy.vip/discussions/forum/10/1736593325992795012/
Leeson 29 Oct, 2019 @ 4:43am 
Originally posted by Sterbehilfe e.V.:
Originally posted by al:

Some data got corrupted in the system that tracks achievement percentages. While we have backups, it's difficult to determine precisely when the stats got reset, or how many achievements were unlocked in between when the backup last ran and when the numbers got reset. The system has been mostly untouched since 2007 and runs on an old database that we don't really use anymore, so it's overdue for an overhaul.

Given all that, we are working on building a new system for tracking the global achievement data. This is almost complete, after which there will be some time while we count up all of the achievement unlocks again (there are billions and billions). Once it's caught up, we'll switch over to reading the numbers from the new system, and the unlock percentages should return to normal.

The trigger was an update a year ago
October 10, 2018

https://gtm.steamproxy.vip/discussions/forum/10/1736593325992795012/
What you linked is not the same as this issue. I believe you are talking about the new rounding of achievements in that discussion. This discussion is about how global percentages dropped to 0% on some achievements.
The King of Pants 29 Oct, 2019 @ 4:53am 
Originally posted by al:

Thanks for the update.
shade00 29 Oct, 2019 @ 4:55am 
Originally posted by al:

if the Al is still around can you please flag this as the awnser
or if the post creator is so that it stays on top so everyone can find it easily :smilekit:
Doctor Overdrive 29 Oct, 2019 @ 5:22am 
Originally posted by al:

Awesome! It's nice to know that the problem can and is being solved :FionSmile:
Old systems are the worst, and overhauling always takes a lot of time and effort -- you have my deepest sympathy :StellatumGood:
Lucathegreat 29 Oct, 2019 @ 5:30am 
Thanks for the answer!
Mercury 29 Oct, 2019 @ 6:08am 
Originally posted by Mercury:
oh gosh hope the numbers aren't lost for good LOL
Maybe Steam is experimenting with certain achievements for some new system or project that, in the process of creation, messed with unlock percentages. Perhaps we'll see an achievement related thing in Steam Labs.
Looks like I predicted correctly, sweet! Glad to see Valve taking a step to take care of their achievements system :)
spookster 29 Oct, 2019 @ 8:43am 
@al:
Thanks for the update! :m:
Axairlem 29 Oct, 2019 @ 9:05am 
Anyone knows if this as a chance to mess with our timestamps?
same here
timestamp! 29 Oct, 2019 @ 9:41am 
Originally posted by Axairlem:
Anyone knows if this as a chance to mess with our timestamps?
Most likely not as the whole problem seems to be with the database with the global stats/%, while everything individual isn't affected or even related to it.
< >
Showing 256-270 of 390 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: 9 Oct, 2019 @ 6:08pm